Saturday, April 12, 2014

A Wonderful Surprise!

First of all, I am happy to report that my Big Foot is significantly improved and I defy you, dear readers, to see a difference between my formerly ouchie foot and my regular labrafoot. 


One of these things is not like the other... or is it?


Even still, I had to miss a day of daycare and so when I was finally able to return, well, I had a lot of gossip to catch up on and was rather reluctant to go home at the end of the day.



Go back to work, momma, I'm discussing some things with my golden friend.



Despite not being bothered in any way whatsoever by my toe, momma is still limiting my walkies to soft surfaces. This translates into about 87 laps a day around the town common as she is too lazy selfish unimaginative busy to seek out alternate venues.

One does grow weary and my main source of excitement is trying to steer momma under those branches so that they smack her in the head. I have about a 50% success rate and with each head smack my tender ears are privy to increasingly blue language from the unfortunate human.



That's right, momma, just keep walking straight ahead. Hehehe. 


Subsequent to this morning's walkie, momma invited me back into the car with the promise of a "wonderful surprise."

Now, then, I am a cautious chap and have learned that my definition of "wonderful" is not necessarily aligned with those of my momma. Nevertheless, what could be worse than a return to the village green?

And, oh happy day, we arrived at the Doggie Gym!






Noting that momma had her camera out, I suspect she had planned a series of photos documenting my journey from door to pool. However as soon as I caught the briefest of whiffs of that deliciously chlorinated water, I pulled with all my might and it was all she could do to stumble along behind.


Nekked I dove in! No life jacket for yours truly.






Float like a labradog.


And for the next half hour it was, well, labrabliss.

Not being totally unaware of my own limitations, I did take the occasional ramp break to catch my breath.



Hey! I look like a corgador! What happened to my leggies?


But then it was back in (with such gusto that it apparently was impossible to get a picture of me porpoising along that wasn't blurry).



Check out the nice extension in my rear quarters. Like ballet.



So, yes, that really was a wonderful surprise and I feel renewed and ready to tackle spring.



Just going to soak up the rays for a bit. Feeling rather sleepy...


Dexter done!

P.S. From Momma
Dexter's foot has made a remarkable recovery and he is anxious to resume his normal walkies. It's true that we have been doing town common laps. Alternate venues are, I fear, mostly overrun with loose dogs and / or ticks. However, don't think he is suffering. Now that the days are longer, we've been getting in some evening tennis ball and trick training fun times in the back (soft surface) yard. And even though he did miss one of his regular daycare days, he got to go for a bonus day on Friday (and was, thankfully, worn out enough that he happily followed me to the car instead of trying to make a break for it back to the play area).

28 comments:

  1. Dexter Dude! What a great surprise. And well deserved. Your foot looks better, but one toe seems still a bit swollen to these WFT eyes. Take it easy. On the Mama too.

    gussie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheesh...Mama can't seem to get our comment to stick!

    Anywho...I can't believe how much improvement you have made Dexter...I can't even see an ouchie on your paw anymore!! Plus...you have been so very busy between daycare, walkies, swimming and yard play with your Mama...you are quite the renaissance lab!

    Smileys!
    Dory

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you entertain yourself by trying to smack the human in the head with branches and she rewards you with a trip to the pool. Dexter, you're awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tennis ball zoomies in the back yard are always good. And a surprise trip to the pool! Outstanding! I guess Momma wanted to reward you for being stuck at home alone all week. Glad you are recovering so well, Dex.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such great news, Dex!!! And wowzers, you took to the pool like a Lab to wat---oh. Right. Well, I guess you felt right at home, huh?
    Glad you got to go hang out with your friends, too. I'll bet they missed you!
    Play bows,
    Zim

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH DEXTER... a day at Camp Hunch a Bunch WILL renew and restore ones sense of humor.
    WOW you got to swim in an INDOOR POOL???? THAT is wonderful.
    We love that you took the chance to make your displeasure known to your momma... by STICKING it to her... Hope they didn't LEAF a mark though.. BaaaaaWaaaah.
    Buddy you ALWAYS crack us up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh, Dexter. Life's good. We love your swimming technique! We're lucky that SHE gets bored with the same walk, so we vary our walks...except the river.

    XXXOOO Bella & Roxy

    Glad your ouchie foot is much better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent news Labradude - you is the dog - swimming for all you are worth and no life jacket for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We know how much you love the water, Dexter. What a wonderful surprise!

    Love ya lots♥
    Mitch and Molly

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad about your toe, Dexter! I'd say that was truly a "wonderful surprise"! We don't have a place like that locally - it's a long drive to get to one. So you are a lucky labradude!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a nice surprise to go swimming! Looks like you had lots of fun--and no stress on the hurt footsie.

    --Woofs (and purrs) from Life with Dogs and Cats.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hooray for normal feet and swimming. Not that we like swimming, but you seem to, and that's what matters.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dexter you are one lucky dude!! Jackal really wishes they had a doggie pool around here, but sadly this area isn't too dog friendly. I'm glad you enjoyed your trip to the pool and I think you make a cute Corgador!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dex. You are labraspoilt and we're green with jelly at the swimming adventure. Glad your foot is better mate. Enjoy your walks. No worries, and love, Stella and Rory

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Dex, that is a most FABulous surprise indeed!!! You look like one of those synchronized swimmers at the Olympics!! Amazin' extension! Amazin' form! Amazin' stamina! Amazin' ball handlin'! I give it a 10 !!
    now, I knows I shouldn't be BOL, butts I thinks peeps hittin' their heads on stuffs is funny...hence the BOL at your Moms gettin' 'twigged'!! I try this often, butts with varying success
    You buddies look like funs Dexter, I can see why you would want to stay!
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  16. hello dexter its dennis the vizsla dog hay i am glad yore fut is feeling better we hayt those toe infekshuns arownd heer!!! yoo ar verry brayv to go in the water i hayt that stuf!!! ok bye

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dexter, we're glad to hear your foot is better. How awesome that you got to go swimming!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That pool adventure looks absolutely fabulous, Dex! You lucky thing! And we're glad your foot is better!

    Woofs,
    Tommy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow!

    That is almost as much fun as khoming to Khamp Khyra -

    Hugz&Khysses,
    Khyra

    ReplyDelete
  20. So goad you got some labrabliss time Dexter! Just shows sometimes you CAN trust those mama's!
    ~Lickies, Ludo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dexter skinny dipping!! Woot! Woot! My weekend is now complete! <3

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dex, Mabel thinks you are most handsome nekkid in your pool!

    I think you like blue words.... just sayin dude!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Deew Pea,

    I looked and looked and coold find no diffewence between yoow twoo bootiful feets at al, and then I cooldn't believe my eyes when I saw yoow amazing suwpwise...Wowza...that pool looks heavenly..i know how much you, a pawfect labwadoode , love to swim, so this must have ben heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I pwessed the stoopid button befowe I coold say, I hope yoow footies will heal totally and to send you smoochie kisses
    Asta

    ReplyDelete
  25. We are with Tank - you have most pawsome Labraskills that you are able to walk your Mom into low-hanging branches and then get taken to a pool. Nice work!

    *kissey face*
    -Fiona and Abby the Hippobottomus

    ReplyDelete
  26. You would love it where we live Dexter, water everywhere and just right outside the door... Love to see you enjoying yourself. Luv's Freya Rose Blossom X Cat Flap Cavalier

    ReplyDelete