Sunday, January 5, 2014

A Mundane Review of Nor'easter Hercules


I hope that none of my alert readers interpreted my absence during Nor'easter Hercules as a sign that we were in peril. Hardly. In fact, provided that one can tolerate sub zero temperatures (yours truly among them), the storm was barely an interruption in my pleasingly routine life.

Of course momma spent many anxious moments topping off the bird feeders and she did seem to shovel an awful lot (I'm not sure how much as I find snow shoveling very dull and opt to retire to my couch until some more interesting activity presents itself).

But even though it snowed for over a day, we ultimately had less than a foot of accumulation. No real excuse not to walk, right?

Given the non-stop snow plow traffic, momma opted for a little woodland stroll behind our estate where I was able to practice my agility skills.

Not sure momma will be quite as agile navigating this log.


As well strike a pose that was a bit festive (momma is always trying to get the perfect holiday photo regardless of the season).



Please make haste, momma, this fleece doesn't cover my labrabum and it is, after all, only 5 degrees. 



When Hercules had blown over, we resumed our usual routes and had one heart stopping moment when we rounded the corner to be confronted by the sidewalk plow. These are useful but rather aggressive machines which stop for no dog and we beat a hasty (and in momma's case, a bit clumsy) retreat.







The arrival of the sidewalk plow was, at first, cause for much celebration since it meant we could resume our walkies to the the village green.

And so the following day we did just that. Unfortunately, the street plows made one final pass after the sidewalk plows and threw all the icky, chemical laden slush back onto the sidewalk.

I've become quite skilled at detecting ouchie snow and taking evasive maneuvers.



No road salt up here.


And we achieved our destination of the village green. A place where no doggie had gone before (or at least not since the snow fell). I was pretty proud of momma. She gamely slogged through the snow along with me (albeit at a somewhat slower pace).



Just step where I stepped, momma. I've cleared a path for you.

And there you have it. Momma says an "uneventful" snow storm is the best kind. We didn't miss a single walkie.

Happy New Year to all my pals. I don't have any particular resolutions. I just don't see any reason to change. Momma is always telling me I am perfect. Wouldn't want that to stop.

Dexter done.

35 comments:

  1. And a very happy new year to you guys as well! No Hercules can stop you !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And WE wish YOU and YOURS a Happy New Year..
    OMD you BLAZED a TRAIL fur your momma to follow along behind your BEHIND. THAT was most thoughtful of you.
    SO are YOU ready fur the BIG FREEZE that is coming tomorrow and Tuesday? WE are NOT looking forward to THAT thingy at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's a lot of snow! Sounds like you fared pretty darn well through the storm, thank Dawg. Snow walkies are fun and definitely brisk. BOL
    Grr and Woof,
    Sarge, Pol Comm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Didn't miss any walkies....that's fantastic. You should give your Mum a treat--she done good.

    XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  5. We survived the storm okay too as far as the snow fall goes, but the sub zero temps were tough on our toes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We hope your labrabum didn't suffer any permanent damage! Our Mom, too, is always looking for 'holiday photos' even though if she DID get the perfect photo in January (or February, or March, or April) she'd forget about it by the time the whole holiday card thing came around again! I have to say, we looked at that wide expanse of untracked snow, and immediately thought 'perfect frisbee snow'! But maybe that's just us. You SHOULD give your Momma a cookie - she did a good job in getting you out in spite of the inclement weather (even if she probably was dressed as Elmer Fudd for most of your walkies!).

    *kissey face*
    -Fiona and Abby the Hippobottomus

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow your Momma is so brave! I am glad you got your walkies and hopefully took care of business. We have lots of snow too, but my little leggers don't like the snow as much as you do. I am mostly inside snuggling.


    Loveys Sasha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmmmm...all I can say is you are so lucky that you have long legs...I'd be buried until the spring thaw!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dexter: We enjoyed viewing your experience from afar, and are glad you got sufficient walkies regardless of inclement weather. Hunker down, there is more on the way.

    gussie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy 2014 Dexter! You sure got a lot of snow there. I, Lily Belle, love the snow. Maybe it will snow here in Florida on Wednesday. We may get a frost over night.

    Hugs,
    Lily Belle & Muffin

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year mates. We looked with envy at your snow but mum told us we were too pathetic to even contemplate snow living. She has to boot us outside even with a sprinkle of rain cause we don't like to get our feet or bums wet. Can you tell us what ouchie snow is. Does that mean icy snow or does the salt make it hard and sharp on your feet? We heard on the news a poor man was killed when a load of salt fell on him. Of course this might have been misreported. Anyhoo, stay safe. No worries, and love, Stella and Rory (Walker dude, and we don't mean a zombie hehe).

    ReplyDelete
  12. We can tell how much you are loving your walkies!! It is going to be brutally frigid here tonight and tomorrow! Stay Warm! xo Chloe and LadyBug

    ReplyDelete
  13. We lived in New England (near you) for about a decade, and we were rather shocked by the way that CNN was announcing that it was 13° there as if everyone was about to freeze. We remembered New Englanders as a hardy bunch, so we thought it was rather amusing.

    Good job getting your mom out there Dexter, and treading where no dog had gone before you!!!! I'm glad the storm didn't mess up your routine!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad you didn't miss any walks! Ours were a lot shorter since Duke's feet were freezing; we're thinking of ordering booties. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, Dexter, you sure enjoy the snow. Happy New Year to you and your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy snow to you! Sissy loves it, but Gg finds it quite cold. I - the mama - love snow too, but worry about walking the dogs too long in such cold, wet conditions...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Dex, You ARE perfect!!! So glad you and your mom are getting out and there were no ill affects from the storm to the estate!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my goodness she better get movin
    Lily

    ReplyDelete
  19. We are very impressed with your walk to the village green in all that burrrrrr chillllly snow Dexter!!

    Happy New Year!!!
    Smileys!
    Dory, Jakey, Arty & Bilbo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dexter, I am most impressed with both you and Momma. Not missing a single walkie. I'm not sure I would have been so intrepid. Well done.
    Toodle pip!
    Bertie.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Look at all of that beautiful snow! We have rain and warm temps today and they're melting all of our wonderful white stuffs.

    Love ya lots♥
    Mitch and Molly

    ReplyDelete
  22. We are again in a major cold spell here in Winterpeg - school busses cancelled today due to cold. I am wondering about your lovely red fleece. We have tried to find a coat for me, but nothing fits as I am a large labradude, standing very tall and weighing 110 pounds. Many peoples greet me by exclaiming "Ohmygodhe'shugeforalab"in one long word! Mama is now persuing coats with a vengeance as I wore my daddy's camo hunting sweater on yesterday's walk and had to keep stopping for the arms to be rolled up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chester,
      My fleece is from Ruffwear. I wear a large, but I'm only 75 pounds. It is stretchy material so I don't know if you would be large or XL. http://www.ruffwear.com

      Delete
  23. Let's make snowdog angels! I hope the snow we get don't melt too much with this warm weather today.

    ReplyDelete
  24. And a very Happy New Year to you Dexter! Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, that village green place looks WONDERFUL, Mr. Dexter! I wish I could run and play there with you!
    Yours sincerely,
    Maggie T.

    ReplyDelete
  26. The Snow Thief took off with some of my precious stuff last night -

    At least the Polar Vortex will help preserve some of it -

    Maybe woo khould take lessons from The Beastie - she might be able to help work on your Labrabum!

    Thanks fur the most excellent replay of your fun!

    Hugz&Khysses,
    Khyra

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a lucky boy! How I envy you that you got your walkies and the snow is so beautiful. Well, I don't know what snow exactly is, haven't had it yet. BUT we have a lot of thunderstorms lately and our sky is all grey most of the time.

    Happy New Year to all of you too!

    ~Eva

    ReplyDelete
  28. Brrrr.... you need a hoodie for your bum!

    Monty and Harlow

    ReplyDelete
  29. I think I might get a bit lost and become invisible in all that white stuff. brrrrr...
    THE COUNT!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh Hercules Smercules eh Dexter, you wouldn't let a bitty bit of snow slow you down. We clearly have doggone absoloodely no idea what we are talking about having never seen snow or a snow plough in our wee lives.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I've never heard of a sidewalk plow - I don't think we have them down here. I envy all the snow but don't envy the slush and icky chemicals they put on the roads. The village green sure looks wonderful, though! Still no snow here, but plenty cold.

    Garth

    ReplyDelete
  32. Enjoy your snow buddy!

    Stop on by for a visit
    Kari
    http://dogisgodinreverse.com/

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great work, clearing a path on the village green for Momma! Glad you enjoyed your snowstorm.

    ReplyDelete