Sunday, December 23, 2012

Adventure Walkie in the Woods and Other Places


I have many photos from today's adventure walk as well as a short video, so I will endeavor to keep my commentary crisp.

Today's walk started in the woods behind our estate. One might think that we would take advantage of that venue more often, but momma has declared it to be "tick city" and will not set foot there until "those blood sucking parasites are good and frozen."

For woodland walks, momma allows me to utilize my extra long string. This is intended to provide more freedom of movement, but as you can see, there are frequent handler errors.

Control tower to Labrador. We have detected pilot error. 


I am dismayed by the amount of furniture in the woods. On today's walk, in addition to this living room set, we counted three couches, two mattresses, a snow plow, and a television. It isn't as if dumping here is convenient. In fact one wonders how it actually gets into the woods as the path is not exactly automobile friendly.



Momma is a little bit afraid of this bridge because you can see the traffic right through the boards. 

Not yours truly who can be seen here doing a bit of a jig to demonstrate my excellent balance and fearlessness.


I feel like a ballerina. 

Oh momma, are you really posting this photo? She just loves the fact that I can engage in "free range" poops (meaning not to be picked up). Lazy, that's what she is.


A little privacy please.

I was certain we would have to turn back when we encountered this tree taking a snooze across the trail. So imagine my surprise when momma scrambled over it (albeit rather gracelessly) with only minor bruising to her tender and decidedly nonathletic person. 


Ruh roh. 

We emerged from the wooded wonderland onto one of the main thoroughfares in our community and I thought we might journey home along the highway to see what other things there would be to explore.

Here I sit in front of a vexing facility. While I have grown accustomed to signs forbidding close examination, the dangling sentence on the sign gave me pause. "Framingham water works...."

Works how? Works at what? I wonder if vandals stole the punchline.



Maybe with more tax revenue they could finish their sentences. 

A parrot on a stick. Now there's something you don't see every day.


Hello, birdie. 

Uh oh, this is the scary underpass under the Massachusetts State Turnpike. You all know that my estate used to be on the turnpike, right? I assure you, it is a true statement. 

In 1955, when the turnpike was constructed, the Commonwealth arranged to move our cozy cottage from its original location to the spot that it now resides. They did a great job too. The house is nice and square and plumb. Speaking of plumbs, I admit that I was getting a bit peckish at this point (somebody neglected to bring good dog hot dogs along).

That's a kind of small bridge for all that traffic. Do you think it's safe?


As promised, a short, but exciting video of yours truly walking under the turnpike. It made some peculiar sounds, but I was really not too bothered (I think momma the more nervous of the two of us).

Oh dear, it seems the video will not play on iPad versions of Safari. Well, you'll have to use your imagination (or go to the big computer).


video


Did you see that plastic bag I was snuffling? Momma came this close to opening it up to investigate, but then she decided not to. I can't blame her. What if it had been filled with, let's say "organic material of unknown origin" or contraband. She would have been compelled to interrupt our walk to alert the authorities. Unacceptable.

Back in familiar territory, it seems that this little tableau arrived on our village green (don't even get momma started on what she thinks about that). 





Ah yes, alert readers should recognize that chap.




This little guy has a Tibetan name which I can never remember. Kind of odd when you consider that he is an American Eskimo dog.

But not something I pondered for long as his master just so happened to have a pocket full of cookies and that peckish sensation in my belly had blossomed into full out hunger. Thank goodness some humans are always prepared.


Hurry up, nice human, I'm kind of teetering on the edge of starvation now.

Heading for home, as we passed the bagel shop, a stranger lady rushed out, came up to us and said "I'm a wreck! I just put my dog to sleep three days ago." Oh wow. She looked awful too. Momma listened to her (my momma has a lot of faults, but she is a good listener) and asked her questions about her dog and the lady talked and talked and I even let her cuddle and smoochie me (despite being normally rather aloof with strangers).

 I think we helped that lady. That made me and momma very happy. Kind of the spirit of the season, right?

Dexter done!


P.S. For my pal, Goldie. Are you reading this? Maybe mama and papa can get you an outfit like this for next year.


29 comments:

  1. Haha, that first comment made me smile! I have that lead situation all the time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...what we wouldn't give for such a walk.....we keep begging mom but she keeps mumbling about it being too cold....it's 55 degrees woman ....that's not cold. We shall just have to enjoy your instead. It's sad people use open spaces for dumping there discards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting walk you had. I'm glad you ran into someone with tasty snacks in his pocket.

    Millie

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH DEXTER... you saved the bestest story fur Last. Your momma and YOU did such a wonderful CARING thingy fur that poor hurting lady. {{{SIGH}}} and THIS is why YOU and your Momma are so MUCH LOVED around Blogville.
    I am sure the lady slept easier after your time with her.

    YOU and YOUR MOMMA are the VERY BEST!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. PeeS... MERRY CHRISTMAS to all on your estate!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know discarded plastic bags have lots of pee mail on them...we usually leave some, too. We enjoyed your walk immensely but not the bridge SHE would never have gone over it!

    XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Total Adventure Walkie for sure! Over a bridge and under another one we would never have made it... you ARE a wonder dog!

    Sam and Pippen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Dexter, that looked like a FABulous walkie!! I, too, am perplexed at how peeps got all that crap down on the trailbed. Gosh, some peeps are just rude!
    I'm so glad you and your Moms helped that lady out. I thinks Santa Paws is gonna give ya a little extra 'somethin', somethin'" in your stocking this year!
    Have a Very Merry Christmas to you and your sweet peeps and the whole estate!

    Kisses,
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh! Where do I start, Dexter? That was such a varied and interesting walk. I would get very grouchy if humans dumped their furniture in my woods. Is there a number you could call to dob them in? Or maybe you could collect them all and have a flea market day and make money for extra treats? Just a thought.

    My Typist gets wobbly on bridges too! Though not hard plank ones. You should see her wobble on the string ones. BWAH haha! She is frozen on them, what a woos. I hope the parrot wasn't real. Yes, I remember the tin soldier, he looks smaller today. What WOULD your mama say about the nativity scene? I LOVE the cameldog! That is to say, TT does and thank god there aren't any costumes like that here or she might be tempted to get one. Who dreams up these bizarre ways to humiliate us dogs you think? You did A Nice Thing for that lady. Video. WHAT video?

    This comment is almost as long as your commentary. So Georgia DONE! Have a great Christmas you two! :) X

    ReplyDelete
  10. You sure did have some interesting sights on that walk. People in a box and the parrot on the stick. Nutty
    Snuggles,
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, Dexter, yesterday we had 38 degrees here (that's 100 degrees in northern hemisphere language). It got all the way down to 28 (82) overnight. Our human gave us ice-cubes to play with.

    We're going on a road trip at the end of January, two humans in the front seat, four dogs in the back seat. We're sure it'll be fine, because Sasha's in charge of everything, especially food. We'll be going through tick country, so yesterday our human unticked us. She has to untick us every two weeks from now until after we get back. And we're getting nudie cuts so she can check us for ticks more easily, too.

    Enjoy your Xmas dinner, which we know your humans will share freely with you in the spirit of giving. We're looking forward to yummy fresh seafood for ours - prawns and crayfish. Yummers!

    Puppy kisses
    Sasha & Trixie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holy dogs Dexter that was some crazy noise under that bridge. I was kind of scared just listening, but I do tend to be a nervous sort with noises. I am most disturbed that your Momma does not provide you with snacks on these journeys. You need to keep your strength up. Dexter Momma, its not like they are heavy or anything, please bring Dexter treatables next time and thank you. I hope that helps Dexter and Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    Loveys Sasha

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whew. Thank goodness we keep Mama's hands full. Private moments are ... PRIVATE!

    And Gg says those noises are awful. Shudder!!

    Merry Christmas! We're counting on extra-long walks for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, technically, your town did finish their sentence, although it's quite awkward without a direct object or predicate adjective or even adverb to give it some real purpose. I'm very glad that you were able to make the lady from the bagel shop feel better, Dexter, and were compensated appropriately by the human who was prepared.

    Merry Christmas to all at the Dexter Estate (which no longer resides on the turnpike, happily).

    ReplyDelete
  15. First I gots to say, there was all kinda of bravery going on in this walkie! There's no way on earth (or anywheres else) that The LB would have been able to walk across that bridge with the slots! She's massively fearful of heights -- the the points where hers can't moves! BOL!! Lawdy, the stories I could tell.... And then there is the underpass that you walked through. Yeah, um, no ways could I have walked through there. That noise was kinda skeery and there could have beens boogey mens hiding behind all those pillars!! BRAVERY MAXIMUS!!!

    Phew!

    Your Pal,

    Miss Fendi HoneyBuzz and The LB, skeerdy kats esq.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fun walk, Dexter! The furniture looks like it was dumped there in case you or your momma need a 5-minute rest!
    Gosh, are you sure that wooden bridge is safe to be on?!

    Love ya lots,
    Mitch and Molly

    ReplyDelete
  17. You did a good job comforting that lady Dexter. What a brave and athletic guy you is!
    Hope you has a lovely Christmas!
    ~lickies, Ludo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dexter that was a spooky walk under the turnpike sounded like a tornado was blowin through it! :O Very glad your Mom decided not to open the baggie - the way you were sniffin and jumpin at the same time did not bode well ;)

    Very good of you two to comfort the bereaved lady. We should always have time for that sort of interaction :D

    Wishing all of you a very Merry Christmas my furiends! :D

    Waggin at ya,
    Roo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your walks are looking very cool these days Dexter!!!
    We hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  20. We couldn't pull up the video on our computer, wish we had cause we like the sound of wind (thats what Roo said)
    Anyways, don't know if I told you but I love your header. You handsome boy.

    Bert
    Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fantastic header Dexter. Snow really brings your furs out beautifully for the camera.

    We wish you and your family a very happy Christmas. Hope Santa brings you lots of treats.

    Molly, Taffy, Monty and Winnie

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm not sure what the punch line is about the water. Maybe your town ran out of money? At least they spelled everything right, which is more than I can say for our city's signage!
    It was REALLY good of you to let the stranger lady cuddle with you. Us pups seem to know when someone really needs us, don't we? It's a shame bipeds aren't more like that.
    Merry Christmas, buddy!
    Play bows,
    Zim

    ReplyDelete
  23. Geez, that was quite an amazing walk! My assistant would be nervous of that bridge, too. And free range poop ...bawhahahahaha! Must give that a try sometime.

    Thank you for your well wishes. I am feeling better everyday. The new medicine is helping with my cough and reducing the fluid in my lungs. Definitely not out of the woods, but very grateful for more days with my family.

    Your pal, Pip

    ReplyDelete
  24. U has a good story. I hope u has a fun Kitmas and Noo Ear! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Merry Christmas, Dexter! To you and yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sounds as if you had a nice walk. Sorry we haven't ambled by for awhile but we have had a new addition that is keeping Mommy busy, especially as she wasn't planned for and she has health issues.

    We really think you comforted that lady that had lost her doggie. Which was a very sweet thing to do. We are proud of you Dexter.

    We want to wish you a Meowy ChrisMouse and a Howling New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  27. That's really quite a Regal Golden! The maker of the Dogtivity captured the essence of royalty quite well!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Glad you didn't look in the bag. I don't think you would have liked it. That was really sweet of you and your momma to listen to the lady. I bet it's been a really sad time for her. I'm sure you really brightened her day.

    The walk looks like fun. I was waiting for pictures of how you both got over the tree.

    Emma

    ReplyDelete