Sunday, November 11, 2012

Walking to the Edge of the World


Our walkie routes are usually confined to a one mile radius around our estate. That doesn't mean that I can't make sure momma gets her exercise because we take twists and turns and detours and usually manage one and a half to two mile excursions (twice every day that I am not at daycare).

I kind of like the familiar. Having walked those same highways and byways thousands of times, we've got it down. We know which houses have scary doggies in them, which walkers are afraid of yours truly (momma makes me pull over when they go by), and where all the bad places are in the sidewalk that I have to slow down so that momma doesn't trip over her big clumsy feet.

But sometimes, one seeks adventure, right? So yesterday, momma caught the fever of exploration and announced that we were going on an Adventure Walkie.

When the one mile mark came along, momma said "Let's just keep going, Dex." Sure, why not? Let's see what strange things exist in the great beyond.

Strange indeed.

The first oddity was this wee little stuffie that had found its way onto the sidewalk. I've never seen a turtle stuffie before. I wanted to take it along, but momma did that whole "leave it" thing. I figured time to play the role of obedient lab. No sense bringing out grouchy momma so early in our adventure.


Stand down, momma, I'm leaving it.

Could it be that the humans get smaller and smaller as one gets farther away from our estate? The anthropologist in me was intrigued by the midget basketball court discovered along the way.


Vertical object.... I'm going to leave a little calling card once momma looks away.


Momma told me this wasn't a house, but a train depot. I think she was pulling my leg (OK, I actually don't really understand what it means to pull one's leg since momma pulls on my legs a lot, but never at the precise moment when she says that she is doing it). 



If that's a train depot, where are the tracks?


Another leg pull? She said this is the street where the ex-patriots from the UK must live. I don't recall any New England Patriots, ex or otherwise from the UK. I'm not sure they really have the knack of football over there.



I wonder if Bertie lives here.


MUD! We don't have any good mud at our estate. Wow! All soft and squishy and wet. I'm going to find out if we can build a mud pit in our yard.



Mud might be good to eat as well... let's just see...


And then it happened. We reached the edge of the world. It has to be the end since there was no more sidewalk. You can't see it, but away in the distance there was a sign that said "Welcome to Southborough." That's a completely different town!






We could have kept going and who knows what we would have found in that Southborough place, but I confess that the rolling hill into nowhere combined with the lack of sidewalk decided things for me. Time to get back home.

Once again in familiar territory, momma's land speed had slowed considerably. I was still ready to go. If she had just dropped the string I could have helped show those little blue people how to play ball with labratude!



Uh oh, I'm sure this photo will go in the "Dexter's Bottom" folder. 


A rather anticlimactic ending to an otherwise marvelous adventure. I was asked to pose in front of our butterfly bush which nearly took flight during the recent hurricane.

I objected strongly to the request to "just pretend you are examining the roots, Dex." I KNEW that substandard flashy wasn't going to show the precariously leaning bush to any good effect. 

Note in photo below I have temporarily assumed the blank stare characteristic of taking a brief trip to my happy place until the cajoling and fussing ceased.



Take the picture. This is the only pose you're getting today.


So there you have it. My big adventure to the edge of the world. 

Dexter done!

37 comments:

  1. Who knows what else is out there - vertical objects, stuffie turtles, no more sidewalks! What kind of place is that?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love adventure walkies... we usually get into the car to go to a whole other neighbourhood to do them though!

    Sam and Pippen

    PeeS. Mud does taste good... in case you didn't get a chance to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a fun adventure, suppose you walked right off the edge. Your Mom must have been feeling adventurous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, great walk. I am particularly impressed by the fact that you discovered some mud. What a find! But I can assure you that I do not live on Redcoat Road. Heaven forbid that I should ever live somewhere that is named after an article of, eek, CLOTHING (the horror).
    Toodle pip!
    Bertie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that was really quite an adventure - we love to go exploring on new adventures too. We used to have one of those mini b-ball thingies here too, but it is gone now, something about the minibipeds all getting too tall even for dunking.

    Happy Sunday.

    Woos - Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful Adventure! We think you guys are very brave for even contemplating the long walk over the hill....when we do that the muzzer gets really #itchy, depending on shoe type.

    gussie n teka

    ReplyDelete
  7. How very adventurous, Dexter! Can't believe you actually walkied to where your sidewalk ends! We love the descriptions of the various cool stuff you saw on the way - especially the b-ball mini court and the blue people. Can't wait to see where you go for your next outing!!!!
    xxxx
    Sam and Avalon

    ReplyDelete
  8. MUD! That's the next best thing to TREATS! I think it's wonderful that your momma took you on an Adventure Walk to the edge of the world. I love walking in new places! You never know what you'll find!

    your pal,
    Garth

    p.s. - I'm so glad you have your very own blog now. I'm enjoying getting to know you better, Dexter Dude!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a mighty exciting adventure, Dexter! I especially liked the discovery of the mud pit! How cool is that! Did you take some home with you?
    Play bows,
    Zim

    ReplyDelete
  10. That seems terribly exciting... it's fun to get out and explore a bit, eh??? Good luck getting Master to build you a mud pit... Mabel has one now where our deck used to me and this Mamma is not happy about it at all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dexter, you Moms is the bestest! You gets to walks to the ends of the worlds?? You are one lucky dude. AND, Mud?? Oh, does it gets any better?? I thinks not! Let me know how it goes gettin' your Moms to put in a mud pit on your estate.

    Kisses,
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dex, we think those little blue peeps wuld have loved to learn to play with a labradude. Nice walkie, though. We're taking mom for one in a little while. She is SO lazy...

    -Bart and Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was a great adventure! We always remember every house that has a cat or had a cat or a cat just walked through the yard. Bella remembers which back fences have dogs that she can torment... We loved seeing all around your part of the world. Loved the crunchy leaves.

    XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a nice long adventure, Dexter. You walked all the way to another town!

    Love ya lots,
    Mitch and Molly

    ReplyDelete
  15. hello dexter its dennis the vizsla dog hay so that is ware the sidewawk ends!!! now i do not hav to reed the buk to find owt!!! ok bye

    ReplyDelete
  16. Peewee...you WALKED TO ANOTHER TOWN?? Harumph....and all those times I've asked you to go dancing and you've always said we can't go farther than a one mile perimeter from the Estate. Sheeesch.

    What is that harness contraption you have on? I shall see if I missed some blog post explaining it...it looks like you have a blue ski pole poking you in the back. I would poke your butt with one If your Momma hadn't changed the locks on the Estate.

    XXOO Beast

    ReplyDelete
  17. So the world really is flat, huh? Wow! Although we think there must be something funky going on in the space-time continuum, because it would take us forever (or at least a trip in the car) to get to another town, while you are able to actually walk to one - one with small, blue people. I think space-time has folded in on itself in Master-Chew-Sits. Looks like a most interesting place. BTW, we met a crazy labrapup gal in our doggie class this weekend. She was (maybe) 6 months old and Cray-Zee. But she had the suck-up thing down - that's genetic for you labs, right? Heehee.

    *kissey face*
    -Fiona and Abby the Hippobottomus

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is really Cool Dexter!!! Almost like you could have run into Alice in Wonderland out there!! You actually WALKED from one two to another...Wow!! We think that teeny, tiny little stuffie was cute!! xoxo Chloe and LadyBug

    ReplyDelete
  19. HOwdy Dexter, pretty good walk mate. We didn't know you were at the end of the world. We loved the mud patch. It's easy to make one at your place. Just wait till it rains and then dig a big hole and voila, mud! No worries, and love, Stella and Rory
    P.S. Thank goodness your mum was just pulling your leg and didn't get you to pull her finger, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You should have grabbed the stuffie turtle before your Momma had a chance to catch up with you and say leave it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The end of your world looks pretty much like the every day of my world, Dex!

    Woofs,
    Tommy

    ReplyDelete
  22. I bet your mom slept soundly like a baby after the adventurous walk!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow Dexter! I can't believe you took a walk to the end of the world and then back again! It looks like you had a great adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  24. ooo, adventures are always the best :-) me and my girls treat everything like a mini adventure haha.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What fun that was, Dex! Did you get a good roll in the mud? It's been ages since my lazy Typist took me on a Get Lost Walk (or any walk). Humans with stinky knees are no fun at all. Hooroo! X

    ReplyDelete
  26. Well, it's good that you ventured to the edge of the world and returned safely, and with an exciting report for us! I hope you can find more little blue people to whom you can teach "Playing Ball with Labratude!"

    ReplyDelete
  27. Dexter, and here I thought I had moved to the edge of the world! Your part of the world has a lot of history behind it - I really liked that non-train station and of course, the mud. The black and whites here would have been in that mud in no time! Ann TBL

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wowies Dexter...don't you just LOVE adventure walkies!!? I just love new and interesting walkie places!

    Smileys!
    Dory

    ReplyDelete
  29. That was quite the adventure, Dexter! Thanks for taking us along!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Quite an adventure you had there Dexter. We hope your Momma took plenty of treats

    ReplyDelete
  31. Continued.....

    To help you keep up your strength.

    Sorry about the comments being spread across your page, somebody's paw hit return too soon.

    Molly, Taffy, Monty and Winnie

    ReplyDelete
  32. BOL - Monty is horrified when I expect him to walk where there is no sidewalk. Sam prefers it.

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow, the edge of the world! I love adventure walkies! I bet that you could've dunked in that basketball hoop.

    You mentioned the NB food that hurt our R. After our experiences with that company and the process of reporting bad food, we're never feeding another one of their products to our dogs. We discovered many many reports like ours on the web... yet no recalls for anything more than salmonella. I just thought that I'd share that with you. And, yes, we've discovered that some toxins do damage that never heals.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Another useful tip for dog walking jobs is to get adequate training in dog walking. Lastly, do not just look at the dog walking work as a means to make money. You must have the love and passion towards the dogs and should find the dog walking jobs interesting.

    Dog Walking

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hey Dex, take it from me, that squishy mud stuff is really cool to roll in too, but you have to be quick and take Mum by sprise before shes onto your plan.

    ReplyDelete
  36. My momma never lets me play in the mud like that... what gives?

    woof - Tucker

    ReplyDelete
  37. Big time Labradude adventure, fur sure! I hafta wonder what sorta magical powers that blue harness thingy has over you that you don't pull. I do remember readin' your post about it, but had no idea it would actually take away your pullin' desires. It looks too complicated for Mom to figger out how to put it on my Big Brown self, which is fine by me.

    Woofs and harnessed slobbers,
    Chester ;0=)

    ReplyDelete